As the evenings become lighter it’s the perfect time to get out and about in your garden. It’s also a good opportunity to check the security of your home and or sheds/outbuildings.
Here are some helpful tips prevent you from falling victim to burglary:
- When you have finished with your tools, including ladders, make sure you put them away in a secure location and out of sight. Burglars can use this items to gain access to homes or sheds.
- Ensure your wheelie bin is not in a position where someone could use it to get over a fence or to access an open window.
- Cover garage or shed windows using curtains or frosted glass so contents from within cannot be seen.
- Fit a shed or garage alarm if possible.
- Permanently mark bikes and power tools with your postcode and register them for free at www.immobilise.com so that if they’re taken police will be able to reunite them with you easily.
- Use a ‘Sold Secure’ close-shackled padlock to secure a hasp and staple fitted with coach bolts or tamper-proof screws on your shed.
- We would advise against keeping high-value bicycles and other items in a shed or garage but, if this can’t be avoided, chain tools, cycles and other valuable equipment together using a high-security chain and a padlock. Anchor the chain into the wall or floor for extra security and peace of mind.
- Get a family member or close friend to keep an eye on your property if you are away.
If you discover a burglary has taken place, you can report it to us by calling 101.